"I encourage Catholics to pray fervently for the dead, for their family members and for all our brothers and sisters who have died, that they may obtain the remission of the punishments due to their sins and may hear the Lord's call: 'Come, O my dear soul, to eternal repose in the arms of my goodness, which has prepared eternal delights for you"'.
~ Pope John Paul II

January 31, 2010

Things to come

First off, apologies. I'm trying to balance my new hobby (i.e. blogging) with work, school, a new baby, and some beneficial and therapeutic reading. Admittedly, I'm not finding the balance yet. But this too shall pass.

In the coming weeks, I will be looking at supporting evidence for the doctrine of Purgatory -- first in Scripture, then in Tradition as set forth by the Church Fathers, and finally in the Magisterial teaching of the Universal church. That being said, I reserve the right to update the order as I see fit.

I have no particular training in this area, but I come with enough raw materials to make the endeavor fruitful: an inquisitive nature, a rounded intellect, and the humility to bow to superior wisdom. I welcome comments, both critical and encouraging, but I expect a certain level of respect and charity.

I will begin my examination by looking at the concepts of man's purification and God's holiness in the Old Testament. I'll keep this page updated with the overall outline as things fall into place.

Outline:
  1. The Holiness of God

  2. Clean vs Unclean

  3. Holiness in God's Servants

No comments:

Post a Comment